Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Journal #6: Ten reasons to get rid of Homework (NETS-T 1, 5)


Journal 6: Ten reasons to get rid of Homework (NETS-T 1, 5)

Review

The Article posted by John Spencer talks about ten reasons to get rid of homework. He feels that homework assignments are unnecessary because; young children are busy, older children are even more busy, inequitable situations, kids need to play, homework creates adversarial roles, homework de-motivates, homework does not raise achievement, most homework is bad, homework teaches bad work habits, and it has a wrong focus.

Analysis

I do believe that sometimes homework is unnecessary and that sometimes teachers do give out too much homework. I feel that children also need time for them to play and enjoy their childhood. I agree that sometimes students do not do their homework not because they are too lazy to do it, but because they do not understand the material and do not have enough resources. I remember that when I first came to this country, I was not able to complete my homework assignments because I did not understand the language and I did not have any friends or family members that could help me with the translation. Teachers should keep and open communication with students and instead of judging them and punishing them with more homework assignments, they should talk to the students and find out what is going on with their personal life. But I also believe that students should have homework because it is a good way for them to practice what they learned throughout the day. Also, looking at the Asian culture, one of the main reasons of their academic success is their commitment to education and rigid study sessions.

Five Reasons of why Students Need Homework
 
  • Need to review what they learned throughout the day
  • Shows student’s commitment
  • Makes them remember what they learned
  • Projects can be fun
  • Lets them explore their creativity

Spencer, J. (2011, September 19). Ten reasons to get rid of homework. Retrieved from http://www.educationrethink.com/2011/09/ten-reasons-to-get-rid-of-homework-and.html

No comments:

Post a Comment